System for representing stratigraphy on Geologic Maps

This is a field for free talking. You may report your research works and activities. You may tell your problems for getting help. You may propose meetings, conference, joint research projects, or even your personal interesting.

System for representing stratigraphy on Geologic Maps

Postby cartojada » February 10th, 2011, 11:27 am

Hi,

I'm a cartographer at ESRI and have been testing the publication of GIS data as map services for online viewing. Due to the nature of the individuality of each dataset's representation of the geology, when two datasets are brought together, side-by-side, in an online environment, it's evident that the geology appears to change across administrative boundaries.

Working from the United States' standard, I am attempting to develop a 'system' that helps better organize the colors used to represent particular divisions of geologic time. The intention is to better organize the visual representation of geologic time and the depositional relationships between units or groups, on a map.

All that said, I noticed that the colors used in the U.S. Standard differ from the colors used in the International Standard for stratigraphy. Could someone please direct me to a source or sources where I can learn more about the development of the international stratigraphic color sheme and the colors chosen to represent the divisions of geologic time? If there's also knowledge of the development of the U.S. Standard, that would be useful, too. I'm in the process of reverse engineering it now.

Thank you!

Janel
cartojada

Re: System for representing stratigraphy on Geologic Maps

Postby Pander » November 11th, 2011, 12:34 pm

I am teaching some high school students a lesson in geology. At least one of them may do a paper on these color standards. I am very interested in viewing the link them as well. Please let us know when they are available so that this class is Global Leadership Adventures can continue to learn. Thank you.
Pander

Re: System for representing stratigraphy on Geologic Maps

Postby Limiter » November 15th, 2011, 2:06 am

Why not make it an open source system?
Limiter

Return to ICS Free Communication