The International Commission on Stratigraphy is the largest and oldest constituent scientific body in the International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS). Its primary objective is to precisely define global units (systems, series, and stages) of the International Chronostratigraphic Chart that, in turn, are the basis for the units (periods, epochs, and age) of the International Geologic Time Scale; thus setting global standards for the fundamental scale for expressing the history of the Earth.
News & Meetings
- Chinese, French, Japanese, and Spanish Translations of the ICS Chart now posted on the ICS Website under "Chart/Time Scale"[2013-03-27]
- New Permian Time Scale[2012-12-08]
- New website for Ordovician Subcommission[2012-12-08]
- 1st International Congress on Stratigraphy (STRATI 2013) will be held in Lisbon in July of 2013[2012-09-10]
- IGCP 591 Meeting jointing with ICS subcommissions on Cambrian, Ordovician, and Silurian Stratigraphy will be held in Sweden in June of 2013[2012-09-10]
- New Ordovician Chronostratigraphic Chart by Bergstrom et al. (2008)[2012-01-07]